History of the university
University finds its origins in aviation courses set up by Kyiv Polytechnics at the end of the 19th century, while its independent history stems back to 1933. The resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR, established the Kyiv Aviation Institute based on the aviation faculty of the Kyiv Machine-Building Institute. The institute occupied premises on 51 Lenin Street (now Bohdan Khmelnytsky Street), where it was located until 1941.
In September 1933, students were distributed among the four faculties: operational, aircraft, engine and ground structures. Educational and laboratory base was created, which included the materials technology lab, classes by plane types, engines, and technical operation, training and production workshops, metalwork and carpentry shops. The formation began of a glider school and a flight detachment. In October, Vasyl Mykolayovych Podporinov was appointed head of the Kyiv Aviation Institute.
In March 1934, the institute changed its name to Voroshilov Kyiv Aviation Institute of Civil air fleet. A training flight detachment was created, which included glider and parachute sections.
In 1935, two new faculties were set up: operational-mechanical and general-technical ones. A year later, the first group of 65 engineers graduated from Voroshilov Kyiv Aviation Institute of Civil air fleet.
In September 1938, advanced training courses were opened for civil aviation engineers. In July 1939, the last pre-war graduation of 70 KAI engineers took place.
On July 9, 1941, by the order of Aeroflot chief on suspending the Institute’s operations, its students were sent to the Kharkiv Military Technical School, while its assets were evacuated to Aktobe (Kazakhstan). On September 20, by order of the Main Directorate of the Soviet Civil Air Fleet, the 46th Training and Technical Squadron of Civil air fleet was established based on the Institute. The squadron trained junior aviation professionals in aircraft maintenance. Pavel Grigoryevich Podchasov was appointed Commander of the training and technical squadron.
In October 1942, the 46th Training and Technical Squadron of Civil air fleet was transferred from Aktobe to Chardzhou (Turkmenistan). In March 1943, by the order of the Chief of the Main Directorate of Civil air fleet, the 46th Training and Technical Squadron of Civil air fleet was transformed into the Technical Staff School. On April 28, 1944, the Technical Staff School of Civil air fleet was relocated to Kyiv.
Already in January 1945, the first four groups of cadets of the Technical Staff School of Civil air fleet went to classes in Kyiv.
On January 29, 1947, the Council of Ministers of the USSR adopted a Resolution on relaunching the Kyiv Institute of Civil air fleet from Academic Year 1947/1948. On February 12, the Soviet Minister of Higher Education and the Head of the Main Directorate of the Civil air fleet under the Soviet Council of Ministers issued the order on the dissolution of the Kyiv Technical Staff School and the relaunch of the Kyiv Institute of Civil air fleet (KI CAF). Pavel Grigoryevich Podchasov, Candidate of Technical Sciences, has been endorsed as Head of the Institute. On Kyiv’s Poleva Street, classes started at the Mechanical Faculty of the restored KI CAF.
In 1948, the work resumed of advanced training courses for engineers. In April, the first group of students joined the correspondence department which trained professionals in only one specialty, “Operation of aircraft and engines.”
In March 1949, a student scientific and technical association was established at the Institute. The association council held meetings with scientists from Kyiv and across Ukraine, set up for students excursions to industrial enterprises, and initiated annual general scientific-theoretical conferences.
In 1950, the general estimate was approved for the construction of the Kyiv Institute of Civil air fleet and the allocation of a land plot by the Kyiv City Council for the construction of the institute at 197 Borshchahivska Street.
In January 1954, Mykola Lukych Golego was appointed head (Rector) of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Air Fleet. Already in 1955, under his leadership, the construction began of the institute’s main building at 197 Borshchahivska Street (now 1 Liubomyr Husar Avenue), where the campus further expanded. Along with the main building (building 1), a radio test site, a research lab, departments of aerodynamics and flight dynamics, a garage, and a driving school were built.
On March 6, 1956, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (now the Faculty of Air Navigation, Electronics and Telecommunications) was established. Practical training for KI CAF students was hosted by the Institute training ground and aircraft engine test station, located on the territory adjacent to the Zhuliany Airport.
In 1957, classes began in the newly built main building.
On December 21, 1959, the correspondence faculty was established based on the correspondence department (now the Educational and Scientific Institute of Innovative New Technologies).
On September 25, 1962, the Radio Engineering Faculty (now the Faculty of Air Navigation, Electronics and Telecommunications) was set up.
On March 31, 1963, the team of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Air Fleet starred on television in the All-Union Humor Contest “Club of the Cheerful and Clever” in Moscow. In the semifinals, the KI CAF team defeated the team of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) in the last game of the 1962/1963 season.
In December 1964, the second educational building was put into operation.
In 1965, the Kyiv Institute of Civil Air Fleet was renamed the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation Engineers (KICAE). On July 17 of the same year, the Faculty of Automation and Computer Engineering (now the Faculty of Cybersecurity, Computer and Software Engineering) was established.
In May 1966, the First All-Union Scientific and Technical Conference on Applied Aerodynamics was held at KICAE, attended by about 400 representatives of 64 organizations.
On October 13, by the Resolution of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR, the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation Engineers was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor for successful implementation of a seven-year plan to train highly qualified civil and engineering professionals for civil aviation.
In 1967, the construction of two dormitories on Nizhynska Street was completed and the third educational building of the Institute was put into operation. Intensive construction of the fifth and sixth buildings continued, which created a single architectural complex with the third one.
In 1968, a wind tunnel was built to study diffuser flows and semi-bounded jet flows. On July 6 of the same year, the Faculty of Airports (now the Faculty of Construction, Architecture and Design) was established.
On August 30, 1971, the Faculty of Lubricants (now the Faculty of Environmental Safety, Engineering and Technology) was set up.
On March 10, 1972, the Faculty of Engineering and Economics (now the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration) was opened. The building of the Scientific and Technical Library was put into operation.
The Faculty of Advanced Training of Managers and Specialists of Civil Aviation (now the Educational and Scientific Institute of Continuing Education) was established on November 9, 1972.
In 1973, the construction of the sports complex was completed, while the yachtsmen of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation won the Black Sea Cup.
In 1975, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor Oleksandr Fedotovych Aksionov was appointed Rector of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation Engineers.
In 1976, the construction of the high-rise building 8 of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation Engineers was completed.
On July 29, 1977, the Preparatory Faculty for Foreign Students (now the Institute of International Cooperation and Education) was established.
In October 1978, the KICAE “Aviator” rugby team, playing in the All-Union Premier League, became champion of the USSR. The final was held at the KICAE stadium with the 5-time USSR champion Moscow club FILI. Support by a 5,000-strong crowd, the KICAE team beat the Muscovites 10:0.
In 1979, the Center for Culture and Arts KICAE was opened, with a 16 meters wide, 12 meters deep, and 11 meters high stage, with all the necessary equipment in place, as well as dressing rooms, rehearsal halls, and a theater.
In 1985, the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) honored KICAE Rector Oleksandr Fedotovych Aksionov with a Gold Medal and a Certificate of Recognition of the Edward Warner Award for significant contribution to the development of international civil aviation.
On June 29, 1987, the Faculty of Aviation Works and Transportation (now the Faculty of Transport, Management and Logistics) was established.
In 1992, the Faculty of Military Training was set up on the basis of the military department.
In 1993, KIECA sealed accreditation of the IV educational qualification level.
In 1994, Kyiv International University of Civil Aviation (KIUCA) was established on the basis of KIECA. The university included Kryvyi Rih Aviation Technical College and Slavic Aviation Technical College.
In 1995, KIUCA hosted the first seminar of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). ICAO Council President Assad Kotaite became the first Honorary Doctor of the University. In 1996, it was decided to open the ICAO European Regional Aviation Security Training Center at KIUCA.
In October 1998, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor Vitaliy Pavlovych Babak was appointed Rector of Kyiv International University of Civil Aviation (KIUCA).
ICAO Council President Assad Kotaite and Rector Vitaliy Babak officially opened the ICAO European Regional Aviation Security Training Center.
In 1999, the University’s Aerospace Lyceum was established and an “English-Language Project” was introduced where classes were taught in English.
By the Decree of President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma of 2000, the University was granted the “national” status to become National Aviation University (NAU).
On June 5, 2000, the Faculty of Linguistics and Law (now the Faculty of Linguistics and Social Communications) was established. In the same year, the University included in its structure the Topographic College (now the College of Information Technology and Land Management) and the College of Industry and Economics (now the College of Engineering and Management).
In 2002, NAU opened the ICAO European Regional Training Center for State Flight Safety and Airworthiness Inspectors.
In 2003, NAU’s ICAO Training Institute was established at the University. Its opening was due to the need to coordinate the activities of a number of national centers and programs. Since 2005, Galina Andriyivna Suslova has been a director of NAU’s ICAO Training Institute.
On September 30, 2003, on the territory of the former training and aviation base of National Aviation University the official opening took place of the Antonov State Aviation Museum.
On July 14, 2004, the Institute of International Relations (now the Faculty of International Relations) was established.
On December 24, 2004, by the Decree of President of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma, National Aviation University was granted the status of a “self-governing” (autonomous) higher educational facility.
On December 27, 2006, by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the University’s aerodynamic complex based on the TAD-2 subsonic wind tunnel was put into the State Register of scientific objects that are considered national assets.
In 2007, NAU included in its structure Vasylkiv College and Kyiv Radio Mechanics College (now Kyiv College of Computer Technology and Economics of NAU).
On March 30, 2012, President of the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECCA), Catalin Radu visited the University, accompanied by ECCA Executive Secretary Salvatore Sciacchitano.
On May 23, 2012, Secretary General of the International Civil Aviation Organization Raymond Benjamin and Director of the ICAO European and North Atlantic Office Luis Fonseca de Almeida paid a visit to NAU. At the solemn meeting of the Academic Council, Raymond Benjamin was awarded a mantle and a diploma of “Honorary Doctor of National Aviation University.”
On July 3, 2013, His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent arrived at the University. The solemn moment of the visit was the awarding the honorable guest at the hall of the Academic Council with the mantle and the diploma of the “Honorary Doctor of National Aviation University”.
On May 24, 2017, the University was visited by ICAO Council President and NAU alumnnus Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu. At the extended meeting of NAU’s Academic Council, the President of the ICAO Council was presented with a mantle and a diploma of “Honorary Doctor of National Aviation University”.
On November 23, 2017, National Aviation University was put in the State Register of Government-Supported Scientific Institutions. The certificate received by NAU is valid until November 23, 2022.
On November 27, 2017, in Montreal (Canada), a Memorandum was signed between ICAO and NAU on the coordination and organization of internships for aviation professionals of Ukraine in the ICAO staff. On behalf of ICAO, the memorandum was signed by ICAO Secretary General Fang Liu and on behalf of National Aviation University – by Acting Rector Volodymyr Isaienko.
On April 13, 2018, by the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Volodymyr Mykolayovych Isaienko, Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor, Academician with the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Honored Worker of Education of Ukraine, was appointed NAU Rector, sealing the majority of votes in the second round of the election on March 14, 2018.
On May 16, 2018, a quadripartite Memorandum was signed between National Aviation University, Antonov State Enterprise, Canadore College (Canada), and North Bay Airport (Canada). Under the agreement, a number of bilateral projects will be implemented, in particular, the training of aviation and technical professionals at NAU and Canadore College; training of professionals in piloting and technical fields, in particular for working on the modernized An-2 aircraft, etc.
On June 19, at a meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission on State Investment Projects, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine supported the University’s project proposal and launched the state investment project “International Pilot Training Center of National Aviation University”.
On October 12, 2018, a solemn extended meeting of the Academic Council dedicated to the 85th anniversary of the University was held with the participation of the first President of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk. At the meeting, the mantle and diploma of the “Honorary Doctor of the National Aviation University” were awarded to Regional Director of the European and North Atlantic Office of the International Civil Aviation Organization Luis Fonseca de Almeida and Director of the Advanced Technologies Research Laboratory Nano Control AB (Sweden) Adrian Jose Cabezas.
On November 11, 2018, in Hangzhou (China), the official opening ceremony was held of the joint Chinese-Ukrainian Institute of Aerospace Technology (CUAT). The Institute is a NAU platform for international cooperation with Chinese universities, research institutes, and Chinese enterprises, for the development of joint research projects and the implementation of research results.
On November 29, 2018, the Association of National Aviation University Alumni was established at the University. President of the ICAO Council, Honorary NAU Doctor Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu was unanimously elected Honorary President of the Association.
On December 13, 2018, in Shenzhen (China) at the Forum of Aviation Universities, Rector Volodymyr Isaienko signed the Agreement on the Establishment of the International Association of Aviation and Aerospace Education (ALICANTO). The Association includes over 50 leading aviation universities from Australia, Belarus, UK, Venezuela, Georgia, Germany, Italy, Canada, China, South Korea, South Africa, Poland, Russia, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, the U.S., Turkey, and the Czech Republic. The purpose of the Association is to manage, represent, promote, and defend the interests of universities offering aviation-related programs at the global and regional levels.
On April 5, 2019, the K-10 SWIFT aircraft was purchased within the framework of the state investment project “International Pilot Training Center of National Aviation University”.
On April 12, the Technology and Innovation Support Center (TISC) was opened at NAU, the first one based on higher educational facilities of Ukraine. The project was implemented within the policy of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine in the field of innovation and technology transfer and the Ministry for Development of Economy and Trade of Ukraine in the field of intellectual property.
On April 25, 2019, at a solemn meeting of the Academic Council of the University, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Canada to Ukraine Roman Waschuk was awarded the title of “Honorary Doctor of National Aviation University.”
On October 10, 2019, U.S. astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper visited the University. During the meeting with faculty and students, she elaborated on difficulties of the selection process, ground training, as well as peculiarities of building a station in outer space. Heidemarie also shared her impressions of her spaceflights and time spent at the International Space Station (ISS), as well as the ISS crew operations.
On December 20, 2019, the grand opening took place of the unique Training Center within the framework of the state investment project “International Pilot Training Center of National Aviation University”. The center boasts of a modern high-tech flight simulator ALX FNPT II made by the French-based SARL ALSIM SIMULATEURS (the only such simulator in Ukraine) in Ukraine, which trains student pilots on Cessna, Tecnam, and Boeing-737 aircraft.
On December 23, 2019, a single-engine Cessna 172 aircraft and two single-engine Tecnam P2002-JF aircraft were delivered to Antonov-2 Airport (Hostomel). The aircraft were procured as part of the state investment project “International Pilot Training Center of National Aviation University”.
On February 3, 2020, two Tecnam P2002-JF light-duty training aircraft were purchased and delivered to Antonov-2 Airport (Hostomel) for NAU’s International Pilot Training Center.
In May 2020, the University’s student pilots received certificates of private pilots, for the first time undergoing practical training on the K-10 SWIF aircraft, which was purchased in April 2019 for the International Pilot Training Center of National Aviation University.